Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chin up, chest out

Lesson in dating a single dad when you're a single mom ... dates will be cancelled when kids are sick. And it will suck. And the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" concept will apply.

I was supposed to go to a party tonight with Mr. Handsome, but his little girl has the puking plague that C had last week, along with the rest of New England, so instead I'm going at it alone. I can't just say that I'm strong with a big (metaphorical) set of balls. I must prove it. At least to myself at a bare minimum.  Besides, I owe it to the sexy dress I bought for the party to rock it like I just lost 25 lbs on the divorce diet (cuz I did). And I owe it to my friends from college who will be there and who I haven't seen in almost 7 years. Chin up, chest out. I'm doing this. I can do this.  Walking into a party solo might just actually be a giant testament to how far I have come so far on my journey towards being wonderful. Strength is wonderful, along with just the right amount of self-confidence without bordering on over confident or cocky. No one likes a cocky bitch. I'll tell you one thing though, feeling confident enough to walk into a party post marriage-fail, without the date that I wanted oh so badly, is just about one of the biggest moves I've ever made for my self-esteem.

P.S. Oh and C was returned from visitation on time without too much conflict. Hope the next two visits go just as smoothly for everyone's sake. And I also hope he isn't too much of a cranky pants for my Mom tonight when she comes over to babysit.

6 comments:

  1. Oh glad to read that visitation and handover went ok...that's good. And I'm sorry about the canceled plans! Hope his little girl feels better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, the poor thing.

      And yes, today hasn't been a very good day (as you noted on the earlier post). Hopefully, slipping on my dress and heels and going to the party anyway will turn it around for me. I'm nervous about going alone, for a whole host of reasons. That failure feeling divorce can give you keeps coming over me, which I know is so not true but I can't stop it sometimes. Regardless, I'm taking fear by the horns and I.will.win.

      Delete
  2. I hope the party was fun! Good for you for going anyway. And it's obviously a good sign that your date is a responsible dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The party was fun1 I do plan on blogging about it, I'm just super swamped this week. And yes, Mr. Handsome def. earned a some points with having his priorities straight. It sucked that he couldn't come, but I'm glad he did the right thing. :)

      Delete
  3. wow good for you. Me too. I've been going it alone and I do feel like it is a tremendous boost to my self-esteem which seems to be opposite than it should be. But like you said the confidence it takes to do that is very self-inspiring. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find that every time I tackle something I'm nervous about or actually even "afraid" to do on my own and then am successful ... I just keep getting stronger :)

      Delete

Have something insightful or intelligent to contribute? Please do. A diverse variety of comments ranging from praise to criticism are welcome here, so long as we all play nice and refrain from hostile hate compounded by ignorance.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...